Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mary or Martha?? (some random thoughts as I evaluated my recent mindset)


Luke 10:38-42
“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

We see here a justifiably busy woman vs. another woman who puts worship and learning in the presence of her Lord above everything else. I mean its not like Martha was off doing her own thing and forgot all about the Lord. She was doing work specifically with Him in mind! Yet she failed to do the most important thing. To BE with Him! I just think it is such an important to not get so caught up in doing work for Jesus that we forget to have a relationship with Him.

We can SO easily get caught up in the business of life. For me, this has been the last 6 months. Just one thing after another, planning a wedding, itinerating, getting everything ready for our big move, moving, now learning the culture and language, starting full-time ministry for the first time and as a newly wedded young woman. And all of this is good! Its all for Him and His glory, yet time and time again I have to catch myself from forgetting to just BE with Him. Im doing so much but I MUST remember WHO I am living for. 

I just know for myself that when I get so busy with life and stop having my devotion time and spending time in the Word and in prayer, I become so selfish, prideful, weak minded, and I completely lose my focus. Just as Martha did, she was so caught up and anxious and so off focus! Jesus pretty much said, “Relax Martha! don't worry about all that stuff, just come and be with me!” I KNOW that when I make sure I spend time with my Lord daily, even during the most chaotic times, I have complete peace and focus and such strength, even at my weakest times.

I just really want to encourage everyone to not neglect their time with the Lord. We are all so busy and have so much on our plates, but time with the Lord should be number 1 priority!! I honestly cant go through a day with time with the Lord, and if I do, you will ALL know it! I NEED my Lord, every single moment of my day! 

“O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear? For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Matthew 6:30-34

When we go so long without time with our Lord we tend to take on things and burdens that weigh us down. But when we spend time with Him, He reminds us that those burdens are not meant for us to bear. We are NOT to be ANXIOUS, we are to TRUST in Him, HE is in control, NOT us! This is His plan, not ours, we don’t have to worry. Just trust Him, walk by faith, and be obedient. 

He says, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29

No comments:

Post a Comment